Training and outreach for advanced computing and research
On this page:
- Workshops, trainings, and seminars
- Advanced cyberinfrastructure tours
- Education and workforce development
- Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) pipeline
Workshops, trainings, and seminars
Supercomputing for Everyone Series (S4ES)
The Research Technologies Supercomputing for Everyone Series (S4ES) offers in-person trainings and online courses that teach you how to use the research computing, storage, and software resources available at IU. Some S4ES courses are available online via the IU Expand portal. For more, see the Supercomputing for Everyone Series on the IU IT Training website.
Compute, storage, research software
- Intro to High Performance Computing (HPC)
- Carbonate at IU (online via IU Expand)
- Research Desktop at IU (online via IU Expand)
- Jetstream Overview
- Storage for High Performance Computing
- Statistical and Numerical Software for HPC
- Parallel Programming for Data Science (Matlab, R, Python)
- Parallel Programming for Modeling and Simulation (C, C++, Fortran)
- Unix: The Basics
Databases and surveys
- IU REDCap Seminars/Webinars and Office Hours
- Getting Started with IU REDCap
- Surveys in IU REDCap
- Data Quality in IU REDCap
- Inaugural workshop: May 20, 2021
Visualization and data services
- Services for Digital Humanities and Creative Activities Seminar Series
- Impact of Virtual Reality Seminar Series
- Augmented, Virtual, and Extended Reality Seminar Series
For biologists and genomicists
- National Center for Genomic Analysis Support (NCGAS) seminars/webinars and office hours
- Weekly office hours via Zoom (coming in 2021)
- HPC Onboarding for Biologists
- Intro to R for Biologists
- Transcriptome Assembly, Annotation, and Analysis
- Next workshop: April 26-28, 2021
- Metagenomics Analysis Workshop (course materials)
- De Novo Assembly of Transcriptomes Using HPC Resources
IU students, faculty, staff also may request that a S4ES trainings be taught at time and/or locations that are convenient for their schools, departments, or programs; contact IT Training.
Peebles Memorial Lectures in Information Technology
The Peebles Memorial Lectures in Information Technology series sponsors one lecture per academic year in areas of information technology relevant to research, teaching, or creative activity in academia.
PTI Seminar series
Advanced cyberinfrastructure tours
IU's advanced cyberinfrastructure includes high performance supercomputers, advanced visualization facilities, and high-throughput networking technologies. Tours are available for individuals, classes, or departments. To schedule a tour, contact UITS Research Technologies.
- Bibliography of publications by staff and faculty affiliated with UITS Research Technologies
- Impact of research and cyberinfrastructure tools at Indiana University
- PTI YouTube channel
- PTI News & Events (news about research- and IT-related events at IU)
- PTI newsletter (news about education, outreach, and training programs at IU and other locations around the world where IU is a partner or presenter)
- Science Node (covers technology-enabled advances in a variety of disciplines, ranging from science and engineering to the arts and humanities, that demonstrate the real-world impact of advanced computing and networks)
Each year, UITS Research Technologies collaborates with other IU entities (for example, SICE and GlobalNOC) to display IU computer science, informatics, and cyberinformatics innovations at the annual International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage, and Analysis.
Additionally, the PTI hosts a number of national and international conferences at IU, providing the opportunity for IU students, faculty, and staff to attend conferences they might not otherwise by saving them travel costs and time. Attendees can present their research and learn more about particular topics of interest. Hosting conferences also helps strengthen IU's reputation as a national research institution, and introduces researchers from around the world to Bloomington and the state of Indiana.
Recent conferences hosted by PTI and Research Technologies include:
- HPSS User Forum 2019 (HUF19)
- The Campus Alliance for Advanced Visualization Fourth Annual Conference (THE CAAV 2019)
- Lustre User Group 2017 (LUG 2017)
- Galaxy Community Conference 2016 (GCC2016)
Education and workforce development
UITS Research Technologies staff teach courses at IU and travel the world to teach topics including scientific visualization, virtual reality, and digital humanities.
Internships with UITS Research Technologies and other research centers affiliated with the PTI; for currently available internships, check the Jobs @ IU website.
Jetstream REU program
Jetstream is the National Science Foundation's first production cloud computing system. Jetstream increases access to cloud computing resources for researchers in the "long tail of science" (for example, social science and humanities research).
Jetstream's Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program provides students the opportunity to work with IU researchers and staff on mentored research projects that focus on optimizing Jetstream's potential benefits. Topics include efficiently using Jetstream for data analytics tasks, minimizing energy consumption via dynamic load balancing, and identifying best practices for Big Data analytics and compute-intensive humanities projects on Jetstream; for more, see Jetstream REU.
Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) pipeline
Ready, Set, Robots!
Each year, UITS Research Technologies hosts the Ready, Set, Robots! camp, where junior high and high school students learn computer programming, problem-solving skills, critical-thinking, and teamwork. Students also gain public speaking experience, respect for their equipment and facilities, and insight into working "green" (in IU Bloomington's LEED-certified Cyberinfrastructure Building).
K-12 and university education and training resources
Research Technologies events and curricula resources help entice the next generation of Hoosiers to pursue exciting careers in STEM fields. View all education resources.